Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Plagiarism


The Motherlode in the New York Times has a story here of a college student who plagiarized an essay.  When the girl’s father heard, he threatened legal action against the professor.  

I had a 10th grade student one time who copied his whole research paper.  When I confronted him, he said, "My father is not without influence in this town."

But as soon as his father heard, he was in my classroom explaining to his son that not only did he deserve that 'F' on his paper, he was going to write another paper for me, and the paper he wrote himself was still going to get an F.  He hoped I would be gracious enough to help his son on the second paper, and apologized, and made his son apologize, for his cheating.

The father was a wealthy Greek immigrant.  I loved that father!

No comments:

Post a Comment