Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Wonder of Technology

The New York City NPR station had a piece here this morning by a reporter who was worried that the presence of cell phones and iPads was making hiking the Appalachian Trail less authentic--or something.   


I listened to this piece while driving over to babysit my grandchildren this morning.  I have to say, I was floored.  As someone who spent much of her life unconnected (I got my first cell phone when I was 50) I see cell phones and iPads as an unmitigated blessing.

I feel safe with my cell phone, and much more likely to venture out into new areas.  I can talk with my daughter in Hawaii and my son in L.A. without it costing me a fortune.  I can listen to hundreds of radio stations on my iPhone and iPad mini, and watch movies and TV series.  I can enlarge the print in e-books.

When I was still teaching, e-mail was great.  It was so much easier to answer e-mails from parents than phone calls.  It was so much easier to teach writing with computers.

Really, I marvel everyday at how much better technology has made my life.  It's even easier to be private, as I can see who is calling, and just not answer.  Twenty years ago, I couldn't do any of this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment