Thursday, September 5, 2013

Comments from the Wall Street Journal on the Affordable Care Act

The Wall Street Journal has an article here describing a speech former President Clinton gave in defense of the Affordable Care Act.  The article did a fairly good job in summarizing the benefits described in the speech.  I was interested to see some thoughtful comment disagreeing with the benefits he named, and so went to the Wall Street Journal to read the comments.  The tone, and content, of the comments were very disappointing, as they did nothing but personally attack the former president.


I taught Rhetoric for years, and always pointed out to my students that the most common logical fallacy in political discourse is the personal attack.    If I were still teaching, I would definitely print out the comments for this article.  Wow.  Example after example after example of pure personal attack--comments with no substance at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment