Thursday, December 27, 2012

Importance of Libraries


The New York Times has in interesting article titled Libraries See Opening as Bookstores Close here.  It describes the many new services libraries offer in an attempt to keep people coming, such as computers, meeting rooms, kindles etc. It generated a lively discussion in the comments about the importance of libraries and whether or not they should be changing so quickly with the times.  Here is my comment:

I spent a good deal of time interviewing my avid-reading high school students to find out how they developed as avid readers.  It’s important, because avid readers are always the top students.

One of the most interesting things I found out was how many lived within walking or biking distance to a library.  It was so striking that I thought:  Forget the great school system.  Move close to a library!

No comments:

Post a Comment