Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Is Autism Different in Boys and Girls?

There is an article in the Wall Street Journal here describing new research that is exploring the differences between autism in boys and girls.  If you don't have a subscription, you might be blocked from the article.  I pulled it up by googling the title:  How Autism Is Different in Girls vs. Boys  and then following the link.  I don't know why that worked but it did.  And then to see the comments I just kept scrolling down.  The comment box didn't work.


If you want to see, up close and personal, what it's like to raise a daughter with severe autism, check out this blog:  http://autismasithappens.blogspot.com/.   The mother, Suzanne Amara, has kept this blog for the last six years, since her daughter was diagnosed at the age of three.  I stumbled on the blog when I was trying to locate Suzanne for another reason.  It's beautifully written, and is the best description of autism I've ever read.  You won't find it depressing.  It's really about how understanding follows love.


No comments:

Post a Comment