Friday, February 15, 2013

How to Teach About Gun Violence

The CNN blog Schools of Thought here has an excellent piece by a classroom teacher explaining how he deals with the issue of gun violence.  Essentially, rather than spending a lot of time sympathizing with students who had experienced gun violence, he teaches his students how to analyze the different arguments about gun control and come to their own conclusions.


Mr. Salazar, I love your approach. Not only are you teaching critical thinking skills, you are moving your students from just thinking of themselves as potential victims, to thinking of themselves as well-educated citizens who may be able to make a difference.
I also taught inner-city kids for a number of years in the Boston area. At one point, almost every Boston student I had knew someone–a family member or friend–who was a victim of gun violence. I wish I had thought of your approach then.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing to go to see this web page and reading the views of all mates about this piece of writing, while I am also keen of getting familiarity.
    we write your essay

    ReplyDelete